Monday, November 27, 2006

Testing Only Part of the Problem

While doing research on the subject of the faults on standardized testing, I have learned much more than I have wanted to know. And I have asked myself, if there is all this evidence to discredit testing, why does it still occur?

Of course one can argue that we are stuck in our ways and used to setting benchmarks for all students. But I believe it is mainly due to the fact that our educators and administrators are having much difficulty coming up with creative ways to understand and summarize students ability. They need to be able to fit information into graphs and charts when talking about progress in education. They need to be able to have profits and deficits and gross product. Basically, Education is in the hands of business men.

Education needs a reform that will completely change the way it is perceived. Not only in terms of testing, but in the way it is funded and handled. No institution is perfect, but it is important that as a nation we attempt to constantly better our education of society. This may cause for radical changes, such as moving power from states into more locally based groups, but I believe it to be completely necessary.

I can only hope that more educators that hold more diverse positions, such as myself, are ready to fight a long battle of reform. And if total reform never comes, we will at least contribute as greatly as we can to directly affect our students.

No comments: